Cob: Not a forum for politics

Yun Que yunk88 at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 17 22:25:27 CST 2003

<P><BR><BR></P>
<DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>Cat here!  Yes I have a pile of books that represent more procrastination than preparation!!  When I got down to it things got real simple.  Either it worked or it didn't and earth building gives you the time to find out.  </P></DIV>
<P>A mountain girl lives in our hills some Native American in her, she showed me a clay test that has not failed me yet.  you wet it a bit squeeze it and roll it in your hand like you are going to make one of those snake pots in school art class (when they had art in school)  and bend it over your finger.  If it cracks and falls apart it won't hold.  If it curves over your finger it will.  What we are doing here is making a big clay pot to live in.  She is a potter and uses the natural clay in the area so she knows her stuff.  Make yourself a few test bricks and keep a log of the mix.  Then choose the mix that seems strongest.  Another way is to put the dirt in a jar of water and let it settle it will show you the clay content of the soil but this still won't tell you if it will hold so make test bricks.  This sounds silly but let your instincts have some lead time, it's fun!! Also check out the Groundworks site she goes into detail on the jar test.</P></DIV>
<P>  <EM>for the good of all </EM> Cat<BR><BR></P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>From: "Amanda Peck" <AP615 at HOTMAIL.COM>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Reply-To: "Amanda Peck" <AP615 at HOTMAIL.COM>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>To: grnwllo at jps.net, coblist at deatech.com
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Subject: Re: Cob: Not a forum for politics
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 09:39:43 -0600
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>"Exactly" to the first two points. I keep having to learn the
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>second. It's not too bad if there aren't but one or two new people
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>around, and everybody knows one (me!), but this is a constantly
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>changing group.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Ianto Evans, the Hand Sculpted House (boy are you going to get tired
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>of hearing that as the answer to everything, even after you get the
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>book and realize that there are LOTS but not ALL answers there) has
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>a bunch of tests, sight, sound, feel. I'm not sure he mentions
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>taste ones, but they exist too. In a British book that is down at
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>the bottom of one of the piles of books around me. The reference
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>should appear somewhere in the archives.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Green Willow writes (snipped):
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> I tend to agree that alternative building *is* political
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>in the same way that choices we make every day with our checkbooks
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>is political. Probably more overtly so.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>second, text-based conversations are notorious for
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>misinterpretation.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>I have read somewhere about a simple soil test to determine the
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>quality of clay content. I live on very nice California Foothills
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>red clay. Does anyone know where I can find that test?
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Protect your PC - get McAfee.com VirusScan Online
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?cid=3963
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>