Cob: rats?

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 30 16:50:41 CST 2003

Ask yourself:  Are rats really likely to want to chew through a foot and a
half of pretty compressed clay, sand and straw mix?  Will they want to
tunnel through earth that has been pounded so that dropping a couple of feet
worth of telephone pole on it doesn't leave a dent?  Straw isn't terribly
edible makes nice nesting material, and maybe a nice nesting place if it's
loose.  Might be a good reason not to have a thatch roof, if the rats are
bad in your area, though.

I was wondering about rats living in, under and around a cob house -
especially the ones with the dirt floors. I live on a farm and I find rat
holes near the barns at ground level, 6 feet off the ground, in the field,
under a board - anywhere. Seems like a cob house with a dirt floor would
leave itself open to rat hole potential.

How do you create a less enticing place for the little guys?

Sheila.