Cob: cobbing in New Mexico

Kristina Orchard-Hays tinabud02 at yahoo.com
Mon May 12 15:07:32 CDT 2003

Hello Fellow Cobbers, After a year of alternative building research and land acquisition searches, my partner and I are finally in the last stages of acquiring land a few miles north of Taos, New Mexico.  We are excited to begin building our cob home and plan to break ground in a few weeks.  Just wondering if there are any other New Mexico cobbers out there and/or if anyone has any advice/insights in building in such a dry climate.  We have read The Hand-Sculpted House from cover to cover, as well as The Cobbers Companion and other resources and have also attended one of Ianto Evans' talks and taken a one-day cob workshop with Robert Francis Johnson in Santa Fe.  I would love to take a more extensive workshop but money is tight and my partner, who is an engineer, is confident we have enough info to get started.  Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks,Kristina