Cob: Goat Shelter

D.J. Henman henman at it.to-be.co.jp
Sun Aug 24 23:50:34 CDT 2003

Amanda,

Amanda Peck wrote:

> The reasons why cob would not be good for a volunteer built and run
> county-wide dog shelter include:
> a) dogs dig, chew and so on.  Don't know how easy goats are on their
> home.

Dogs chess on their cob dog houses.   Really?
I've seen cob horse sheds and no problems.   Does anybody out there have
a cob dog house?

> b) disinfecting, cleaning--both animal quarters and a place for
> surgery, treatment, and so on.  Not quite as important for either
> herbivores or ones own animals.

Cob is not inherently dirty?  (sounds kind of funny).    A lot depends
on what disinfectants you use and how you apply them.    About surgery,
that is a totally different thing that a housing area.

> c) the need to have a building go up quickly with not all that
> dedicated to building volunteer labor (wanting a new shelter, yes,
> wanting to spend weeks putting up space for 25-100 dogs and cats,
> no).  This might not apply to cob as much as to some of the stone
> methods, would again not necessarily apply to an individual with only
> a couple of goats.

Perhaps some hybrid with cob and straw bale then.

> The people who tell me that a cob office would be a welcome respite
> from barking dogs are right.
>
> For a goat shed, do you need a fairly soft surface, the way you do for
> horses?  Would the urbanite be best used for a rubble trench foundation?

You mean would it be adequate.   Rocks and other masonry materials could
also be used to the same effect.

Some Places I've seen just used a stabilized rammed earth foundation.
But, I'm not sure that I'd recommend it, having no experience with it
myself.

Darel