[Cob] MO building codes

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 31 10:14:27 CST 2003

Jill:

PLEASE don't base your purchase of land on where you can build without
restrictions, with no friends, no support system, no clues to what is there,
and so on.  And DON'T DON'T buy sight unseen!  Go there!  It's cheaper that
way in the long run, than, say, to spend an unhappy year trying to build on
unsuitable land, having to move to a rented place in the city, with a family
never again willing to try the owner-builder solution.

The mapquest link on the ebay site sends you to the wrong state.  I would
take it as a bad sign, even if the guy does seem to have a good seller
rating on ebay.  I'm also a bit dubious about that $50 minimum.  With
Wal-Mart very close, I'd also worry about some zoning problems, and if a
highway might be going through the land.  Alternatively, is it too damn
steep for a driveway even with 4 wheel drive, let alone for a trailer while
you build, or even for anything except a house built on stilts, one end on
the ground, far end with a 15-foot drop to the ground.

If you're really interested, triple the existing bid--all the way to $150
bucks, and hope there's no lien on the property.  Thirty acres is a nice
size, but.....  Around here "recreational property" often means that it's
not good for much except hunting, and it's rough going even then.

Then, see if you can find a Chamber of Commerce in Wayne County Missouri.
(There is one, with a part time paid employee, in the sparsely populated
Wayne County Tennessee).  Call them, see if they have an information packet
to send out, ask about the electric utility company.  then ask the ELECTRIC
UTILITY if they require a septic tank and electrical inspections, and
incidentally how much do they charge to run poles to an isolated location,
how much you'd have to clear on each side of the new poles, etc. etc. etc.

Cheap land is NO GUARANTEE of a cheap house.

Jill wrote:
I have been looking at land for sale, to build cob,  and read there is no
building codes or requirement or restrictions in the Ozarks, Missouri, where
his land is. Not even requirements to get power.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2355937854&category=15841

Any one know if this is true or not?

Never get a busy signal because you are always connected  with high-speed
Internet access. Click here to comparison-shop providers.
https://broadband.msn.com