Google
Web www.deatech.com

[Cob] cob sink

Taylor Publishing-DirtCheapBuilder tms at northcoast.com
Mon Nov 17 15:06:34 PST 2003

 OH.....I forgot to mention on the cob bathtub subject that making a
 lime-clay mix CAN produce a very durable waterproof basin.  I made a
paper- clay- lime bird bath bowl 3 years ago, and it holds water all
winter, and has not seriously eroded.

it has no sealer or protection, and sits in the garden all year. I was
shocked at how  well it stood up, and will leave it there until it
finally fails.

It was a high lime mix with just a little sand, shredded office paper,
and  high content sticky local clay.   As most of you know lime and clay
can make a Roman cement, the clay acts as a pozzolan to bind with the
lime to make a  natural cement.

on the bathtub idea, hydraulic lime is ALL imported into the US now,
 and if it is used as a tub inner plaster it should be polished to keep
 it as smooth as possible. I have samples of this lime from the
Transmineral rep. and sitting on a rough texture in a tub will not feel
good.  It can be made very smooth, but on bare skin you will still want
a rubber mat to  sit on I think.

and lastly, on some of my fibercrete recipes I use a lighterweight
paper-sawdust "core" to make a bowl, and cob-lime coating  OVER it, to
keep weight down of the finished piece.
this could be true for a tub or basin also.

Ms. Charmaine  Taylor/ Taylor Publishing
PO Box 375, Cutten   CA 95534 707-441-1632    books at dirtcheapbuilder.com
 http://www.dirtcheapbuilder.com    http://www.papercrete.com

Solar powered hosting (from our cob office building) provided by: DeaTech Research Inc. using Debian Linux based servers.  We highly recommend, use, and provide support services for Debian Linux Logo Debian Linux.

If you should have any problems with this page or website, please send email describing the problem(s) to: webmaster@deatech.com

Last Modified: Wednesday, 09-Dec-2009 19:35:06 CST

If you wish to be permanently blocked from ever being able to send email to this domain, send your SPAM messages to: blackhole@deatech.com