[Cob] Mendo project this summer

orion walker orion_w at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 14 12:04:31 CST 2004

   Hi folks, I've been lurking for a bit, catching up on threads and
   such.  I am getting ready to take the plunge.  My wife and I will be
   building a small cobin (like cabin, but with cob) outside of Ukiah Ca.
   this summer.  I have some questions, and in general would like any
   words of advise, support, caution.

   Here's the project as I envision it so far:

   about 400sq ft. not including loft space

    post and beam structure built with Fir trees thinned from the
   property

   combination of cob and strawbale, about 50/50.

   budget: 5k

   My level of experience is fairly low.  I've read Hand Sculpted, and a
   few strawbale books.  I've surfed the web a whole lot.  I've attended
   a one day cob building workshop with Michael Smith, and a two day
   straw bale workshop, and I've talked to some folks that know a fair
   bit.

   I am hoping to get as much volunteer help as possible.  I have a
   beautiful piece of land where people can camp, with some access to
   kitchen, shower and outhouse.

   I'm planning on hosting a reunion from college, of 25 people for
   perhaps at least a weekend, perhaps a week.  I'm also hoping to do
   other formal or informal workshops.  I know there are a number of
   experienced cobers in the area, so I'm hoping to lure some of them up
   for direction at times too.

   A few of my questions at this stage:

    Anyone have a good idea of how much infloor heating costs?  about 2k
   for a 400sqft?  is it possible to do it cheaper?

   I've been leaning towards a poured concrete slab foundation, I know
   it's not the most ecological, but I'm a bit intimidated by the amount
   of work for some of the other methods, and I either have a bit of a
   slope, or a fair amount of leveling to do.  Thoughts?

   And I guess before I get carried away with too many specifics, a
   general question:  We have just settled on our site, I have done some
   initial soil tests (and it does look like we have good clay, but
   little sand), I have been spending lots of time sketching floor plans
   and am getting closer to a firm design.  For those who have been here,
   does this sound like a good place to be as far as time line?  I'm
   hoping to get the post and beam up in May or June, and spend the rest
   of the summer on the rest.  One concern is that we both have to keep
   working, at least part time over the summer, I'm hoping to make up for
   that with the volunteers and workshops mentioned above.  Thoughts,
   ideas, interested in helping?

   Thanks much,

   -Orion

   Help STOP spam with [1]the new MSN 8 and get 2 months FREE*