[Cob] Mendo project this summer

otherfish otherfish at comcast.net
Wed Jan 14 13:19:04 CST 2004

Hi Orion,
Since you are in Mendocino County, you have Class K as an option, if you are
planning to get a building permit.
If you are & need signed / stamped plans to satisfy  the building
department, I can assist.  I'm the architect that helped Katie Jean get the
Class K permit she needed for her cob house near Willits.

By the way, in a post and beam structure with cob it is CRITICAL that you
tie your cob into the building frame if you do the cob as infill.  Cob needs
to be either an integral load bearing system, or if it's done as infill the
cob needs to be restrained at the ends & top of the wall by the building
frame.  This is in order to achieve seismic stability of the infill cob wall
sections.

regards,
john fordice - architect