[Cob] Cob -rusty nails vs transfer of loads to/from cob

otherfish otherfish at comcast.net
Sun Jan 18 20:18:46 CST 2004

David, Brad,
Concrete is very strong in compression, and considerably less strong (weak)
in tension.   In reinforced concrete it is the compressive capacity of the
concrete pushing on the deformations (bumps) on the rebar that transfers
tension loads in the concrete to the high tensile capacity steel rebar.  Any
surface bond between the concrete and the steel rebar (even if it is
augmented by surface rust as you correctly point out) would be in the form
of tension & therefore relatively weak in comparison to the compressive
ability of concrete to transfer loads to the rebar.

We can speak similarly for cob  as it (cob) is even lower in tensile
strength than concrete.  The development of tensile bond between cob & other
materials is weak ( I'm guessing, negligble).  But even beyond this, cob's
compressive strength is so much lower that concrete ( appx 1/10 ) that cob
cannot exert sufficient compressive force on the rebar deformations to be
able to transfer any tension loads into the rebar.  The transfer of loads by
cob to another material needs to be via compression.  Otherwise, it
essentially will not happen.

So lets think about using nails to connect wood members to cob.

Consider a 16 penny nail studded piece of wood embeded in cob.  It will be
the surface area of the nail pushing against the cob that will transfer
loads into or out of the cob.  A 16 penny nail embeded 1.5" into wood can
transfer appx. 108 pounds of load either to or from the wood.  A nail thus
embeded in wood  will have appx 1/4 square inch of remaining surface area
acting perpendicular to the nail with which to contact the cob.  With 200
psi cob (which is typical for cob) this means this nail can transfer 200/4
psi or roughly 50 pounds of load perpendicular to the long axis of the nail.

Given that cob weighs roughly 120 - 130 (+ -) pounds per cubic foot, figure
that you need about 2.5 nails for every cubic foot of cob wall the loads of
which you want to transfer to the wood menmber.  Or vice versa for loads
which you wish to put into the cob.

How we analyse the magnitude of the loads involved & whether they need to go
to the wood or the cob is another story...........

john fordice