[Cob] Alternative shingles

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 20 21:28:13 CST 2004

Thatch and a living roof (which may well require not exactly "all natural"
materials--there is a belief that pond liner is not suitable for rainwater
catchment) are the two one hears about.

Seems like I have heard of something not wood, metal, or (much) concrete,
but I can't remember details right now--possibly something suitable for very
dry climates like papercrete.   Charmaine Taylor is using asphalt emulsion
in some of her mixes, it may be really pretty waterproof, and suitable for
her Northern California area.

Here's Kelly Hart's papercrete page--he lives in a papercrete dome.
http://www.greenhomebuilding.com/papercrete.htm

Karen (dognyard) asks
I know it would be a lot of work, but has anyone made their own shingles
out of an alternative material (not wood, metal or concrete)?