[Cob] roof material

Brad Calvert umbrella at netspace.net.au
Wed Jan 21 06:30:36 CST 2004

Charmaine wrote:

>...something I read a while back which made a LOT of sense...WHY do we
chop up roofing material into little squares?   The article  promoted using
larger size material, or plastering a solid roof over a sheathing.   wish I
could remember where I saw the dang article...

I'd be interested to know what the article had to say about thermal
expansion of large roofing materials....

I guess we all remember why train tracks and concrete paths have regular
breaks in them???

I'm not saying it is impossible as plenty of places have concrete roofs, I
don't know how they allow for movement of the roof over the walls, maybe the
walls can handle being pushed around.

Have you ever been in a steel roofed building on a hot day and the sun goes
behind a cloud or vise versa?  You can hear it creaking and groaning as
things expand/contract.