[Cob] re: mud brick and the Iranian death toll

Mary Lou McFarland louiethefifth at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 21 10:54:55 CST 2004

I am more concerned about the method used in putting these mud bricks
together than I am in questioning need for re-enforcement.  For
instance,were the mud bricks dry stacked and held together only with the
plaster?  Also if mortar was used it usually is still much weaker then a
solid built wall.  Many conventional home buillders will only use a poured
foundation over block specifically for this reason.  Any wall is only as
good as the footing or foundation that is provided.  If you want to build in
a seismic active area with no strength under the wall then you can kiss your
backside goodbye.  If you want tostabilise a cob wall anyway, wouldn't a
basic buttress do a better job  then embedding steel or re-bar?  Not to
mention the esthetics of a buttress.  then you're dealing with architecture
as an art form as well as  a science of strength.  Buttresses have held up
the great cathedrals of Europe for centuries, so I think they ought to be
able to hold up my cottage for the rest of my lifetime.  I haven't started
my structure yet but for the freeze thaw conditions where I live ,I plan on
building a rubble trench a MINIMUM OF FOUR FEET deep and I will probably go
five to be on the safe side.  Because that's what it's all about.....being
safe and warm and dry.