[Cob] Level Rubble Trench

Kim West kwest at arkansas.net
Fri Jan 23 21:13:38 CST 2004

I used a level on mine--but didn't make it level. I made mine drain. If you
make it level it will collect water and that could be disastrous for a cob
building. To make it drain you just dig and check until the bubble is off
center toward the direction you want to be higher. After getting it to drain
we added a layer of gravel, tamped it, then put in drain pipe that I also
made sure was draining. Then we filled it to near the top, tamped it, laid
some rebar, and had a concrete beam poured on top of that. We put large
rocks into the concrete before it set then waited a week or so before
starting the rest of the plinth.

Hope that helps.

Kim