[Cob] Hope this is more cob related than my last post.

Mike Swink mswink77 at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 24 08:24:11 CST 2004

Caught this link on the Lehmans Store Email List:
It is a uplifting feeling to see someone build a strawbale insulated art
studio
In the middle of a city with tons of laws and codes and it PASSED.
I live not to far from Riverdale and plan to go by there soon.

http://sbregistry.greenbuilder.com/search.straw?RID=258

There is a lot of products using oils from soybeans etc. One product I found
might work with some kind of project that could be cob related.
Product name: Soy Form Away. It is all natural so it will not remain in the
cob or concrete once dried.
It works with concrete forms and allows the removal of the forms without
takeing off chunks of the concrete :)..

If you make a cob bench or counter top  and want to add some color. One way
is to place small pebbles in the mix just before it sets up. Once dry then
take water hose and allow small flow of water to flow over the stones as you
rub over the stones with a HOLY STONE that you can get from any mason
supply. Or just a piece of marble that is flat and smooth on one side. Since
the marble is harder than the pebbles it allows you to flaten the pebbles
smooth to same level as the bench top etc. Another way to get artist design
into any thing is to use pressured water. I found an air compressor and
water gun it is possible to add neat designs and shapes. After a little
practice I saw an artist do things which reminded me of a airbrush.

For putting a pipe through a cob wall after it is built may be done like the
pipe I put under a highway to carry water from house well to pasture on
other side of the road.
Note the highway was about four feet higher than our yard and also on the
other side of the road.
 I cut the end of 1inch water pipe at angles so I could hammer the cut
portions over to give a pointed sort of end. Then I added pipe to this front
end piece.
 The other end pipe was fitted to a water hose. The turning of the pipe by
hand and later with clamping on boards to work with my feet to work the pipe
with pressure of turning side to side and pushing forward and  the water
flowing was very slow at first but as I endured it resulted in doing what
otherwise would have cost us  a lot.

I expect many people would just go to the hardware supply and buy the two
foot long auger bit and drill a hole. If they were to put a hole in their
wall. But sometimes that might not be so easy for those of us poor and out
in boondocks :)

If anyone wants to know more about getting tv or internet from satellites in
remote places write me. Its not a sales pitch but interesting for those who
desire to live out back so to speak.