[Cob] foundation near trees

orion walker orion_w at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 26 11:29:22 CST 2004

   Hi, when looking our prospective cobin site, a landscaping relative
   pointed out that if we cut away the hill to level the site, or dig
   foundation trenches where we had inteded he thinks we will kill the
   two Oak trees that we wanted to build near.  He suggested a peir
   foundation, but I explained that in order to build with cob, you have
   to have a solid footing on the ground.

   So now I'm in a quandry.  We picked this site partly because of the
   trees.  We can't just move the site away from them, as the hill gets
   much steeper.

   In Hand sculpted house they suggest snugging your house up near a
   tree.  Is there a way to build a foundation near a tree that won't
   kill it?

   Any thoughts from folks would be great.  Thanks

   -Orion

   Add photos to your e-mail with [1]MSN 8. Get 2 months FREE*.