[Cob] R-values

Marlin lightearth at onebox.com
Wed Jan 28 13:13:04 CST 2004

This discussion raged awhile ago and there might be some really good info in the Archives on R values etc......I think it's one of the most pertinent issues in talking about the viability of Cob in different circumstances.

I might get flamed by the purists but I'm not at all convinced that PURE Cob works well in COLD climates without the input of large amounts of interior heating to keep the mass from going cold.....this is NOT to say that I don't believe in building with earth (I actually teach cob building classes) but believe that it's outstanding qualities (strength, sculptability, thermal mass, beauty) can be taken advantage of in COLD climates with a slight variation from the PURE cob design.

We've played around with Cobwood, Interior-room facing Cob walls, Strawbale wraps and of course the non-insulating situations of garden walls, benches and ovens (the more mass the better) and find clay to be an excellent building material, NOT JUST the best choice for all situations, by itself......

My 2 cents,

Marlin

   info at outtathebox.org
   www.outtathebox.org
"There are solutions to the major problems of our time, some of them even simple. But they require a radical shift in our perceptions, our thinking, and our values."
   - [Fritjof Capra]