[Cob] 60 Desert earthen cob images

Elizabeth juswanabe2004 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 6 01:23:50 CST 2004

Charmain:  Thanks for this great link!

Very cool photos.  I'm struck by several things many of the building have in common:

--They are really massive.  Very thick walls.
--The use of buttresses, especially around doors or at corners.
--The very minimal windows and doors (perhaps as much to do with the climate as construction methods?)
--The use of embedded chunks of wood.  Are these to provide footholds during construction and maintenance?  I'm really curious about what appears to be a dome that is bristling with wooden beams.

On the other hand, some of the building have very classic arches and columns--I'd love to have more detail on the actual construction of the buildings.  I saw one with what appeared to be a drainpipe/gutter coming out through the wall also--perhaps draining a roof.

Elizabeth

Charmaine Taylor <tms at northcoast.com> wrote:
http://archnet.org/library/webpages/jamesmorris/

photographer James Morris' images of Africa /eastern cob/adobe similar to photos in "Built By Hand"

wonderful homes and structures

Ms. Charmaine Taylor/ Taylor Publishing
http://www.dirtcheapbuilder.com