[Cob] RE: cob plaster

Dognyard dognyard at stockroom.ca
Tue Feb 10 09:30:28 CST 2004

"Shannon C. Dealy" wrote:
> Of course from a structural perspective, longer fibers are
> better, so if you are using fine fibers (like manure, horse hair, etc.)

This summer, I really, really want to try even a small section of cob
wall somewhere on the property, and plaster it using horse manure mixed
in the final coat. I have no end of supply of it (the stable where I
keep my horse), and it's already "chopped". I was thinking that actually
winter manure would be better, because the horses are fed a lot of hay,
where in summer, they are mostly on grass.

Anyone have any direct experience with horse manure? Did you find any
problems? Can you suggest a good mix of sand/clay/manure? Did you use a
special finer sand in the final coat?

Karen, dreaming of summer in snowy Alberta