[Cob] cob and earthquakes

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 15 08:29:03 CST 2004

Mass can get you into trouble.  Of course.  But looking at the pictures of
the Bam earthquake, it looks like the fortress mostly stayed standing.  In
other words the really really heavy, well buttressed building survived.
With the newer stuff, some did collapse into power.

Cob studies.  Links, bibliography, please.  I don't think I've seen them.
There's that one book on structural engineering for straw and adobe, not, I
think much about cob in that, although I haven't seen it in a long time.

In the Minke manual that I seem to post a link to EVERY WEEK, he says that
he and his graduate student(s) concluded that skimping on building with
earth (not particularly cob) was what leads to failure in an earthquake.
Skimping on mass, lintels, buttressing (which can make up for the wrong
shape, also a factor).

http://www.gtz.de/basin/publications/books/ManualMinke.pdf

In the interests of anti-true-believerdom--Minke has also published
stuff--not readily available in English--on bamboo.  My German extends about
as far as "Guten tag" and "bambu."  Most of his field work seems to have
been in South America, where both earthen and bamboo building are possible.

Exchange between Kyle Towers and someone (snipped and resnipped):

 >that was one of the few buildings left
 > standing after a major earthquake hit.  I think that the idea behind
 > cob is that it is a monolithic building structure > The tensile and shear
strength of something built well seems phenomenal
 > to me.

     The mass, however, could easily be considered
to be so.  Alas, it is often mass that gets a building in trouble in an
earthquake.  The foundation moves and the massive inertia of the building
causes it to be left behind.

Create your own personal Web page with the info you use most, at My MSN.