[Cob] Soundproofing on a traditionally built wall

Raduazo at aol.com Raduazo at aol.com
Mon Feb 16 16:19:14 CST 2004

I do not know if this would help, but I just did a cob wall over bamboo lath.
Bamboo was split with a conventional 5-way splitter and applied to a
conventional stud wall using "horse shoe nails." (That is the U-shaped nails sometimes
used for attaching fabric or wire to a wall.)
    This was then covered with a layer of cob pushed through the openings in
the lath, followed by a layer of straw/clay plaster, a layer of horse
manure/clay plaster and a final lime plaster.
    The resulting wall is much more massive than a conventional drywall
surface. I think it is important that the inner layer of the wall has a different
harmonic frequency than the outer wall. Plus I have conventional insulation
between the walls.
    I did not do enough of this to determine if it was of any acoustical
significance, but it should cut sound, and the wall cost less than $1.00 since the
bamboo, the clay, the straw and the sand were all free. I am still on my
first bag of lime for a 10 x 9 foot cob wall and a 3 x 9 foot bamboo lath. The
store bought lime is the only ingredient that cost money.
Ed