[Cob] Other components: How bad is Tyvek?

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 16 19:13:03 CST 2004

I don't quite visualize what the order of layers is there.

Can you just think, "the original inhabitants of this cabin probably just
lived by the fire in the winter, unless they had some sort of powerful
blanket/down/fur to sleep under, we can do the same!"  (My dogs and I think
anything above freezing is pretty good sleeping.  But we do have the
powerful down.)

I'd consider that styrofoam stuff fastened to rafters/roof sheathing/purlins
that keeps ventilation where you want it--the underside of the roof, below
that insulation, and below that put a ceiling.  If I've got what you're
doing right.  Even before I heard that the Feng Shui people hated exposed
beams/rafters directly above sleeping people, I wasn't a big fan of them.
Probably partly because I once worked for a construction company that put
faux exposed beams in to try to give some class to their awful houses.  I
don't really think it did.

David Atmoweg wrote:
Greetings, everybody-

A while ago the combination of light clay straw and wool came up.  I was
happy to report that there's finally a place in North America that offers
wool as
insulation.  After two particularly tough winters, we're a little
disillusioned.
We're working on a two-hundred year old cabin in the Catskills, and used
light clay straw for the walls, with which we're quite happy.  We haven't
even plastered
over it because it's so lovely by itself.  We tried to make panels of light
straw clay to fill our rafter spaces, but the stuff proved awfully heavy to
try to hang, and all
the spaces are different widths and we ended up using wool.
Now, the light straw clay doesn't let a lick of air through, so far as we
can tell, but it takes a long time to warm it up.  Its thermal mass seems to
be working
more as a heat-sink than a storage mass when it's below zero outside, and
I'm wondering if we should seal it better from without.  The wool,
meanwhile, isn't
living up to its R-value because this is a leaky, gappy old structure and
wool batting doesn't halt a breeze.  The upshot is we have at times a fifty
Fahrenheit
degree temperature differential between the floor downstairs and the air in
the rafters.
We wanted to cover the wool upstairs with burlap, which is cheap and
low-impact and would look like a good compliment to the light clay
downstairs, but we
begin to think we need a real barrier up there.  Our woodstove is churning
out the BTUs and they're getting away from us.  So the question is, do we
buy three
rolls of Tyvek, trap the wool upstairs and back the light-clay downstairs?
We need to maintain some moisture flow for the light clay, of course, but we
appear to
be living in a seive now.  Is Tyvek made in a toxic, wasteful process?  What
benign substance can we seal this place up with?  I tried to infuse a sheet
of burlap
with beeswax, but it's just too coarse.  Canvas might work that way, but
it's expensive and heavy.
Somebody out there has the answer, I'm sure...

-d.

http://www.flamingbunny.org