[Cob] can bamboo be used as wiring conduit ?

Yun Que yunk88 at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 17 09:16:14 CST 2004

   Cat here some where in my life someone told me not to run elec wires
   in conduit inside a wall because of movement that will eventuley eat
   thru the protective coating??  I personaly like to have easy access to
   anything that I will have to fix eventualy.  The thought of having to
   dig into my walls for a wire some where that has gone goofy dosen't
   sound like fun especialy if I have a remarkable fresco on it!!!!   So
   I'm thinking that I will design things with the wires maybe in
   archetectural wood work, moldings, crowns chair rails, or picture
   rails embedded in the cob???

   What do you think???
   for the good of all C.
   >From: "Bill&Julie" >To: "Cob List" >Subject: Re: [Cob] can bamboo be
   used as wiring conduit ? >Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 21:59:25 -0600 > >You
   are right about the CODES ,, not being founded in the sciences,, What
   I >was >referring to was using wire that was rated for underground
   use... Silly me,, >if the >wire is good enough for the cold wet
   ground,, I would have thought it would >be good enough for COB... But
   then,, all CODES are not the same,, and they >change from year to
   year... So for your own piece of mind,, check the >CODES... >and yet
   another 2¢ from bill > > >----- Original Message ----- >From: "Quinn"
   >To: "Bill&Julie" ; "Cob List" >Sent: Sunday, February 15, 2004 9:57
   PM >Subject: Re: [Cob] can bamboo be used as wiring conduit ? > > > >
   Epiphanies R Us..... > > What would happen if a person were to make a
   shallow channel in the Cob > > walls where you wanted to run the
   wires.. And then, after the wires were > > laid, Cob and plaster over
   them??? > > The you could make an accurate blue print of where the
   wires were,, to be > > able to access them in the future.... The idea
   of making a channel, >instead > > of incorporating the wire into the
   wall ... > >Not an engineer, but my feeling is this: Barring a
   churning A/C unit >somewhere, you probably encounter humidity for some
   months of the year. Not >dampness, just humidity, but it leaches into
   the somewhat porous walls in >these months. You get a short in your
   wires and presto-change-o --your >walls are electrified. > >Of course
   not to mention the fact that it wouldn't pass code anywhere (and >that
   could be why.) > >Now, maybe I'm wrong, and its certainly an extreme
   example, but before we go >throwing away all the 'new', I think its a
   good idea to at least reflect on >why it might have come about, what
   purpose it serves. Some of these >gosh-darn laws and rules were built
   on other people's bad experiences. > >Quinn > > >