[Cob] Soundproofing on a traditionally built wall

Mike Swink mswink77 at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 18 00:36:34 CST 2004

> I want to block out the loud bass from my neighbor that penetrates
> through our common wall.

This seems a none cob related task. But it does help the cause of cob
because sound is one thing that cob walls outside between a factory or
exspressway,can block out sound..

I would go about sound proofing the wall in the most simple manner. If you
own it.

> I think you might not own the right to changing it.<

 In order to resale the condo It must be something you can reverse back to
code or at least provide knowledge of what you did change. Take photos
before and after.

 Wheat Straw naturally can provide a buffer to sound even deep ones like
bass fiddle etc. What you need is something I have not seen but know that it
can be done. Take down the sheetrock off the walls[ReUse Sheetrock ask how
they drive nails in sheet leaving only a hole that can be repaired later].
 Take out the insulation.
Measure the void. Make the lenght of straw to be a little longer than what
is needed.

 I would make a compression box that uses a hand wrenching straps that
compressed the wheat straw down to smallest size. The straps will press down
a lid that is the inside measurement of the box holding the cut straw to
allow even compression. If you drap a string/twain around the straw before
it is compressed and run it out little holes in the side of the box in
several places the lenght of the straw. Once the strap is moved they will
keep the compression of the bricks.The solid walls of the box is needed to
keep the shape of the compressed bricks.

 One subject I do not see on this list the way to obtain straw in the
fastest and least cost way.
If prices of straw goes high. Then the way to go is grow your own without
exspense. Only the cost of the seed and time to create a manure tea or buy
hypronex. SInce you are not going to eat the wheat it is not critical and
natural sources of manure tea or biowaste products can be used.

 Gravity flow through cob container that later can be made into final
project might be made [footing?]. The water only stays in container long
enough to be absorbed by rocks and roots of plants. Then it drains back into
a lowered tanked from which the orginal tea is from. This is done only twice
a day. The time and yeild is MAGIC. If the chamber is on the ground a
temporal hole deep enough to provide the water tanks to be lowered to allow
fluid back into tanks.

The lining of the ditch with cob will be more dense than just soil and will
allow the returned fluid into the tanks clean. And the amount that the cob
absorbs is just a plus to the plants. I cover the wheat seeds with damp
towel till they sprout to point of two leafs then they are ready to plant in
ditch. If you want all of the info is at mother earths news online archeive.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/menarch/archive/