[Cob] Soundproofing, straw and fire

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 19 09:20:47 CST 2004

I don't know.

Difference might be the difference between hay and straw, baled damp
(wouldn't be good for your animals with mold being a primary culprit?) vs
baled dry, or even the orientation of bales in a straw bale wall
(insulation's better one way because there's less air movement, but the
strings are more exposed).

I do remember that there some library fires at Indiana University in the
late sixties/early seventies--lots of smoke and water damage, damage to
bindings, not all that much in the way of shelved books lost
forever--sitting open on somebody's carrell would have been a different
story.  Although they may have only rescued the ones they couldn't replace
easily.  I sure would have.  Parts of the place smelled bad when they
re-opened  Certainly a layer of plaster would protect the bales.  And with
cob I would think that fire danger is low.  Even "light clay" is supposed to
be pretty fireproof, and that's straw tossed with clay slip to coat it.

You could run a test.  Not a bad idea at all.

Seems like I've seen moisture meters sold for straw bale builders.

Spoiled hay is what Ruth Stout used as mulch for her garden. That's how I'd
use it.

Mary Hooper writes:

When I lived on the farm, in another lifetime, we were always aware that hay
baled damp could spontaeously combust, thereby setting  the barn on fire.
  Am I correct in assuming that the cob mix that encloses the bales cuts off
oxygen to the straw. Or is it necessary to use some sort of moisture gauge
to ensure the straw  bales really are dry???? Thanks Mary

 > Rumor hath it that straw bales don't burn very readily--as long as they
are
 > intact

Take off on a romantic weekend or a family adventure to these great U.S.
locations. http://special.msn.com/local/hotdestinations.armx