[Cob] cob and earthquakes

Kyle Towers ktowers at locl.net
Thu Feb 19 11:12:14 CST 2004

1)    Even if your assumptions are correct and you assumed 5 times more
straw would give 5 times the tensile strength, 250psi is still puny for
something so heavy.

2)     Factors such as wall height relative to thickness are the
compensating factors that I referred to originally, but a powerful quake
with strong horizontal accelerations could collapse a wall that is almost as
thick as it is tall.  For equations on seismic loading of stabilized earth
structures, you might refer to Bruce King's "Buildings of Earth and Straw".
The equations for cob would take the same form.