[Cob] Asphalt Emulsion (AE)

Pack McKibben gakayaker at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 22 12:54:12 CST 2004

I'd like to pose another question to the list.  I've amended my plans to include
the use of Asphalt Emulsion over my earthbag wall and then use a lime render
on top of that.  Wanting to build as naturally as possible, I wonder if the use of
Asphalt Emulsion, is the classic problem/balance of using what will work and building
as natural as possible.  I did a google search to educate myself about AE
and wonder if this is breathable, since it has asphalt cement in it?  My neighbor
tried an adobe papercrete mix on her earthbag walls, and now its all pulling away
from the wall.  It did not attach to the poly bags the way she'd hoped.  I'm going
to tell her about using AE and need to be able to explain why this is used, it not
being the most earth friendly, in my thinking, at least.