[Cob] National Park Service earthbag construction

mudhome at netzero.net mudhome at netzero.net
Tue Feb 24 00:06:19 CST 2004

At 09:04 AM 2/8/2004 -0800, Elizabeth wrote:
>Here's a link showing earthbag construction by the National Park
>Service!  They used concrete heavily--a concrete pad foundation and
>stemwall, a concrete bondbeam, and concrete stucco.  Still, a government
>agency using an alternative building technique is progress.
>Elizabeth in WA
>
>http://www.nature.nps.gov/sustainabilitynews/Summer_03/Summer_03_Collaboration/SustainabilityNewsSummer2003Collaboration.htm

I wonder why it doesn't say who the "two skilled earthbag builders
contracted from Moab, Utah" are? They are Kaki Hunter and Doni Kiffmeyer
(authors of the article Elizabeth just posted a link to, and very fun,
energetic people) and have a website at:

http://www.ok-ok-ok.com

After their visit to CalEarth some years ago, they took Khalili's technique
and ran with it. To be honest, I've been a lot more impressed with their
work (in terms of details, quality, little construction tricks) than what
I've seen of people who had spent years at CalEarth (not that there was
anything wrong with the latter). There doesn't seem to be anything on their
website about the "how to" manual they mention at the end of that article
but I HOPE it is available. I have a spiral-bound draft from a few years
ago and would highly recommend it to anyone considering using earthbags,
even in unpolished form.

I'm sure the park service is responsible for the amount of concrete used,
since I've never known Doni and Kaki to use any. At least they didn't add
cement to the earth in the bags, as CalEarth appears to be doing more and
more. That's the impression I get, anyway, from comparing the current
pictures on their website to my memories from  when they first went online.
Maybe soon Jilly (or someone who has already been there) will be able to
tell us whether I am correct? Compare the masonry-style arch-building
technique of these-

http://www.networkearth.org/naturalbuilding/honey.html
(that's the link Elizabeth posted today; my husband made that site about
seven years ago, BTW)

http://www.potkettleblack.com/natbild/images/cnbw/15.jpg
(he made this one too - potkettleblack.com is his domain)

and this picture (which I'll bet is several years old) of Khalili-
http://www.calearth.org/naderb.jpg

to these single long bags arching over openings-

http://www.calearth.org/cvillage/DlxArch.htm
(note especially the arches that are not in the foreground and have already
had their forms removed)

http://www.calearth.org/EcoDomeImages/EcDmFinExt.jpg

http://www.calearth.org/EcoDomeImages/EcDmFinExt1.jpg
(same building as previous picture, only finished and shown from a
different angle)

http://www.calearth.org/cvillage/ShltGrlE.htm
(Also, can someone explain that stem-wall thing in that last picture? Since
many people use earthbags as stem-walls and/or foundations for walls of
cob, strawbale, etc. I'd really like to know what's going on there.)

And, as for vaults...! They seem to be starting with reinforced concrete
vaults, but I couldn't find any explanation of why or how they are building
them-

http://www.calearth.org/3vaults_files/VaultFormOut.jpg
or  http://www.calearth.org/3vaults_files/VaultFormOutThumb.jpg

http://www.calearth.org/3vaults_files/E1South.jpg