[Cob] asking for a few ideas

Quinn quinn1 at mindspring.com
Fri Mar 5 17:55:40 CST 2004

Hey Mary Lou,

You have the land to work on, so you're better off than a lot of folks to begin with!  It also sounds like you have plenty of time to read about stuff before you get going, however anxious you may be -and believe me, I would love to be cobbing but its years away for me and I ain't no spring chicken!  However, I know I will someday, somehow, and yes, probably by myself, so you're not alone.  In fact, by the time I'm ready to go I'll be turning to you for advice!( I can't afford those expensive workshops either...)

In the meantime, my advice is:  don't panic.  Take a look at this-- (unbelieveable!) -- http://www.cpros.com/~sequoia/lois.html

This woman was 72 years old, by herself, and she built a cob house.  This was wonderful inspiration for me.  So, while its still somewhat cold where you are, maybe build little minature houses out of little buckets of cob to get an idea of what you want.

And now about plumbing...  Its true that I've done a lot of different things and spent many years doing renovations on people's homes.  But usually I'd say "yes, I can do that" then go home and read a book or magazine (pre-Internet) and then go back and do it.  I never had any proper training, per se.  I am able to pick things up really quickly and have a rather intense work ethic so I wasn't worried about doing a shoddy job and have never had any complaints.  But it ain't rocket science.  Nor is it life and death.  So if something doesn't work out like you'd hoped, either serendipity will take you in another direction or... go back and fix it.  No biggie.  Anything that can be done can be done again.

All I'm saying is not to worry.  You might spend this cold weather time learning to solder.  For about $15 you can get a nozzle and a cannister of propane and for pennies more you can get a couple feet of copper tube, some fittings and some flux.  Play with it.  I currently work in a hardware store as the plumbing manager and you'd be amazed at the number of "plumbers" who come in asking me for advice!  I've never been a plumber!  But I've read a lot and dived in at my own house and ...there you go.  I tell them how to go about it.  And I know what I'm talking about.

Ask questions.  Go to an Ace hardware and look around at the fittings.  Read.  Draw up some plans.  Ask more questions.  You'll be fine.  I promise.

Have fun,
Quinn