[Cob] Thanks for the ideas

Mary Lou McFarland louiethefifth at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 8 21:50:05 CST 2004

While I was reading your suggestions it brought some new questions to mind
and thought I'd throw them out there while everything is fresh and I can
still read all my notes.  sometimes I just look at  things I've written down
and think, What the hell was I thinking?  anyway,  AMANDA..I have thought
some about doing the roof first.  Wasn't sure about the best way to do it,
though I was leaning toward kind of doing a pole/timberframe system but I
was concerned about how to get the longer beams up  I also wasn't certain if
I should do the uprights on a pier or on a footing resting on the rubble
trench since I will be doing  the trench to support the wall anyway.  Also
toyed with the idea of doing the uprights so they would only be exposed on
the interior  for a little architectural interest.  since hearing from
Sasha, I'm excited to try a masonry stove and would like to have a radiant
floor heating system as back up.  The jury is still out on that.  still
reading and researching.   QUINN...about strawbale, I did check into it . I
talked to a lady in town and she said she had friends who built  a strawbale
house and it was rotting right away.  she's a realtor and she never did give
me the name of her friends so perhaps she wasn't being totallly truthful
with me either.  I've also noticed lately that some strawbale  projects
built in places other than the southwest have put taller footings in and one
I noticed put a moisture barrier under the first course of bales so perhaps
that fixed the problem.  Another concern I had was I wasn't sure how long I
would need to let the bales settle before plastering .  I read an article in
MOTHER and a lady in that built a strawbale.  I don't remember how long she
waited but I remember it struck me as being a fairly long time and I was
worried about the bales absorbing moisture from the air  during settling.
I'm sure I'm not up to speed on bale building so I could be wrong....it
won't be the first time ha.  I am flattered that you believe me capable of
lifting  a couple hundred bales by myself for the height of eight feet.  I
should warn you now that I have not eaten any spinach lately.  I fear that
you are not really Quinn but my husband posing  as an adviser in hopes of
collecting the life insurance money for when I topple to the ground and am
bombarded with bales.  I believe I will learn the soldering thing.  You'll
be the first I contact when I burn off my eyebrows.  When you mentioned that
you worked at Ace hardware, it reminded me that Home Depot  does little
afternoon long workshops on such topics and some of them are specifically
designed for women so I will call and see how the clinic workshops are
shaping up.  SHANNON.. thanks for addressing the wet on dry issue, that was
my biggest concern.  How long, in your experience does it take for the cob
to dry?  I was wondering..If I build up the outside of the edges of the wall
and basically flood my surface befor e tarping would it possibly  be the
right consistency still when I return a week later?  You said that you built
your place completly alone.  How big is it? and what shape? and how did you
manage the roof?  About the sawdust/biobag answer to the "little room"..I
have an idea for  an organic outhouse I want to try.  I'd like to use a
large Rubbermaid type tub and start with a thin layer of soil with a fair
amount of red worms also known as manure worms, occasionally, layer in some
more soil amd perhaps kitchen scraps.  When its half full rotate it out of
circulation,start another tub in the outhouse while the worms work on the
one that is "off duty".  My hope is that I'll go straight from humanure to
worm castings.  In the house, I'll have to be more conventional because I
already have a husband that thinks I'm bats.  I'd also like to have my
children visit and not be scared off by the plumbing or lack of.  If the
outhouse thing works as well as I hope then the indoor plumbing will only
get  real usage in the winter.  I'd also like to live out my days in this
place and I don't know if I'll be up to hoisting biobags when I'm eighty and
my chidren want to put me in a home.  My real hope is that if I do this
right I'll win over other people to alternative methods.  Not everyone is
cut out to be a purist, but if I can convince even 50 other people to
attempt to reduce their usage of the standard system then that will probably
be one of the biggest environmental impacts I will ever make for the planet.
If I make it not look so scarey then perhaps each of my 50 will convince
another 50,   Now if I try to talk them into a sawdust and five gallon
bucket then I don't think I'll convert too many people.  By the time you
read a magazine article those buckets put a heck of a dent in one's
posterior. I did remember about putting in the holes.  That was in one of
the books I read.  I was thinking about getting a couple of old pairs of
golf shoes or track cleats from the rerun store or Salvation Army and just
beat the crap out of my fresh surface with them.  I also thought about
taking a video of my flailings and selling copies to finance my project.  I
want to tell evveryone THANKS so much for taking the time to get a note off
to me.  You're encouragement means even more then the advice.  I'll let you
know when I break ground and hopefully I'll have wonderful progress reports.
  Thanks again, M'Lou

Find things fast with the new MSN Toolbar – includes FREE pop-up blocking!