[Cob] Insulation Idea

Clint Popetz clint at ucimc.org
Sun Mar 14 17:21:50 CST 2004

On Sun, Mar 14, 2004 at 11:52:29AM -0800, Charity Davis-Custer wrote:

> I would rather not use strawbale because of the added thickness....I
> just don't have the space.  I will be using a solar closet design
> and just plain old solar gain but I would like to keep the building
> above freezing in the winter.  Has anyone tried papercrete for
> insulation?  Any suggestions?

You could try wool.  If you can get it straight from farmers, I've
heard it's cheap.  Or you can order it customwoolenmills.com, which I
did and I'm quite happy with.  It's insulating the roof of my cob
greenhouse (I used strawbale stacked up outside the cob for insulating
the north.)

I have no experience with papercrete.

> Is this a hair-brained idea fired from an inexperienced
> designer-----> I'm rather well known for these ;)

No no no!  I love my little (100 sq ft exterior) cob greenhouse.  It
has all kinds of things growing it it, and it stayed above freezing
with no heating this winter.

The bunnies will love it.  Of course, you'll have to keep them away
from anything you grow in it :)  Oh, and you'll have to do something
to keep them from tunneling out, but I assume if you keep bunnies you
are well aware of that.

				-Clint