[Cob] Mortar Mixers

Patrick Newberry PNewberry at HFHI.org
Tue Mar 30 14:36:43 CST 2004

I've used an electric cement mixer extensively for making cob. On my second motor now. How ever the technique I use is to mix the sand, clay and water in the mixer, place that mix in my wheel barrel and then lay a layer of straw over the mud, make a cob loaf, put it to the side, make another etc. As the straw gets used, I add another layer. Eventually the mud is gone and I make another batch.

The method does require much strenght since I really am only mixing single batches at a time. Plus I'm sort of short and the wheel barrel is not at a bad hieght for me to work :-)

Pat Newberry
www.gypsyfarm.com

Pat

-----Original Message-----
From: Dulane [mailto:silkworm at spiderhollow.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 3:07 PM
To: Cob
Subject: [Cob] Mortar Mixers

Has anyone tried using an Imer Mini-Mix 60 electric mortar mixer? They are around $540 and they come with free shipping at
http://www.toolfetch.com/tools/minimix60.html
I didn't mean this as an advertisement, I just want to know if anyone has tried to use one for cob.
TIA, Dulane

"Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote."
-George Jean Nathan