[Cob] Mortar Mixers

otherfish otherfish at comcast.net
Tue Mar 30 22:01:51 CST 2004

Dulane,
I know that some folks have had success with HORIZONTAL axis mortar mixers.
The productive technique seems to be small batches that allow the straw to
mix in effectively.  With a horizontal axis you have gravity working for you
as it acts to separate the mix from the paddles as the cob is rotated in the
mix tank.

I suspect that since gravity will not act to pull the cob off the paddles
with each rotation in a vertical axis mixer such as the one you are
considering, the tendency will be for the mass of cob to hang up on the
rotating paddles and simply rotate around as a mass in the mix tank.

Don't know for sure that this is what will occur, but suspect it will be the
case.  Can you give one of these mixers a try prior to purchasing ?  Please
keep the list informed as to your success in finding a means of achieving a
means of mechanical mixing of cob.

john fordice