[Cob] Dome Roof + Cob Planter ?

Marlin lightearth at onebox.com
Thu Apr 8 12:51:35 CDT 2004

I think the success of the dome roof depends ALOT on the climate/area that you live in. I have a friend that built one in the Big Bend area of Texas, (little but intense rains, no freezing, little earthquake potential

      http://www.twistedroad.com/Adobe_Dome/adobe_dome.htm)

 and it made tons of sense. However with insulation issues, freeze/thaw, days of drizzle and such it becomes a bit more complicated. I'd still like to try it (in Wisc) but wonder about structural/non structural - see below.

When I've seen domed roofs I've also seen a couple of different schemes.....1)the cob IS the structure that's holding itself up (and presumably some coating over the outside keeps the water from damaging the Cob structure)  OR   2) there's domed wood beams with masonry OVER it, allowing for insulation to be packed in between the beams

Anybody that's tried it in different circumstances?

Marlin

*** check out the Midwest Cob building event !!! ***

   info at outtathebox.org
   www.outtathebox.org
"There are solutions to the major problems of our time, some of them even simple. But they require a radical shift in our perceptions, our thinking, and our values."
   - [Fritjof Capra]