[Cob] Dome Roof + Cob Planter ?

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 8 17:55:40 CDT 2004

Lots of (smart!) people do do something small for a first cob project.
Wall, bench, oven (choice at my house, gravel for the foundation coming in
tomorrow), greenhouse.  Only problem I can think of for a planter is
DRAINAGE!  You are dealing with earth.

The Hand Sculpted House really does sweep one along.  Enough that I'd
recommend reading somebody else (e.g. Becky Bee) as well.

Domes are no harder on cob than anything else, would be my guess.  But it
depends on what kind of dome, (geodesic, salvaged silo, adobe brick, straw
bale, or the chinaman's hat shape, either the top of a grain storage
affair--I know where there's a straw bale building with one of those--or
that strange arrangement of poles that ends up self-supporting around a
large center hole, covered with something transparent or a cupola).
Remember to think overhang!

Owen (ddroid) wrote

I'm just reading The Hand Sculpted House, and since its becoming Spring
I thought I would try and build a cob planter as my first structure,
then perhaps later on into a greenhouse. I was curious has anyone done
this, if so how successful was it?

I also had a question about domed rooves. How difficult is it to make a
domed roof for a round cob house?

Thanks,
Owen (aka Ddraig)