[Cob] Dome Roof + Cob Planter ?

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 9 07:39:24 CDT 2004

What kind of roof do you want? what's handy?  what method do you want to
try? recyled, low impact, round wood, sustainable, living, get the building
DONE, how much help are you going to have?  I'd forgotten about earthbag
domes when I wrote the original.

What kind of loads are you going to have, both snow-loads and just roof on
the building, consider leaks, how far along did you get with the building
before you considered roofing?

But lots of things--plate at the top, etc. are going to be very similar no
matter what kind of roof or building you are doing.

But I won't say that this is "just engineering" but finding a solution that
meets most of the wants and "availables" maintains the integrity of the
structure is research and questioning brainstorming and allowing a plan to
come forward.

(I think that the--shed--roof we made for an irregular trapezoidal treehouse
where the front was fastened to trees, the back built on posts illustrates
the kind of problem solving that needs to be done--not even sure but what
Ondura was the least awful material for the building--carrying stuff through
the dry wash and up a very steep and rough hill with much else sounds
horrible.  I wouldn't use it again except under similar circumstances--it
smells bad for a good while)
Buckaroo Bonzai replied to me:

 > Domes are no harder on cob than anything else, would
 > be my guess.  But it depends on what kind of dome,
(geodesic, salvaged silo, adobe brick, straw
 > bale, or the chinaman's hat shape, either the top of
 > a grain storage  affair--

Exactly in what factors depends on the kind of dome?