[Cob] Dome Roof + Cob Planter ?

Schluenderfritz ted at 5sparrows.com
Fri Apr 16 09:52:34 CDT 2004

On Apr 16, 2004, at 8:47 AM, Joe Skeesick wrote:
...working steam thresher operations in the US that
> have specifically grown wheat they use to for displays of their
> equipment.
> These machines didn't fold or mutilate the straw during their
> operations and
> they were made to use on long straw varieties, so you might see if you
> could
> track one of those groups down. No idea how many are in operation
> there.
> Otherwise check with your local Ag College and see if they know of
> anyone
> still growing long straw wheat. As for how much wheat you'd need for
> that
> size house, I'd say in the range of 1/2 to 2/3 of an acre would do it
> depending on depth of coverage.

and Amanda wrote about growing the wheat for bread...

Thanks for your replies,
I've been to several threshing shows in both Minnesota and in
Pennsylvania... I suppose with a 1/2 acre it also wouldn't be too much
of a stretch to think of mowing it with a scythe? Currently I am an
armchair natural builder and wheat-for-bread-baking farmer, but the
thatched roof and the homemade/grown bread are very very appealing to
me.

Joe, do you have experience in thatching and how likely do you think it
would be for someone to do this onesself, without paying for a
professional?

I'm still waiting for http://www.deatech.com/natural/thatch/ this page
to be finished. ;-)