[Cob] painting black asphalt/ horse fence

Charmaine Taylor tms at northcoast.com
Sun Apr 18 13:08:07 CDT 2004

Thanks Amanda, you may have the more chemical version..thre are NO mineral
spirits in  traditional AE...just water and clay..it is not sticky when dry,
and doesn't bubble..so is a different formulation.

If anyone else reading this is interested in wood protection I would give the
AE a try. Henry 107, and Black Jack brands are $21 for a 5 gallon pail...and it
lasts a long time, but is is not "breathable" it is meant to be water
impervious.  Such as painting ends of  roof beams facing weather is a good
solution, but not the whole wood beam..allowing it to respire naturally.

As I may have mentioned here before I use AE in my cob/clay-fiber-paper mixes
to make a stabilized clay floor, ( AKA "Rub-R-Slate")  or plaster ( for around
windows where moisture intrusion can be an issue)
more info at: http://www.dirtcheapbuilder.com/alusforru.html

Ms. Charmaine  Taylor/ Taylor Publishing
http://www.dirtcheapbuilder.com
http://www.papercrete.com