[Cob] Double walls

Jane Mondrup jane at kirstinelund.dk
Wed Apr 21 12:20:35 CDT 2004

Does anyone have any experience with double cob walls with insulation in between? We live in Denmark where the climate is rather cool, and massive cob walls will let out too much heat in the winter. So we're thinking about making the outside walls double, 10-15 inches each (the roof will carry itself), with recycled paper-insulation in the middle.

We suppose that we will have to use something to anchor (is that the right word in english?) the two wall-parts together. Of course we can buy some plastic hooks, but we would like to use wood. The question is whether wood will go bad when buried in cob.

Any tips?