[Cob] Cob recipe

Dorothy Bothne dbothne54 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 29 17:20:30 CDT 2004

Bob,
it depends on how much clay is in your soil.  our soil
has so much clay that we have to add a bag of all
purpose sand for every 1-1/2 to 2 buckets of dirt.  to
that we add about  3/4 of a bucket of water (more or
less depending on how wet or dry the soil is) and
about a 4" section of the straw bale.
we mix this in a cement mixer till it's pretty well
blended then dump the mix into a wheel barrow.  next
we take globs about the size a softball and mix well
with a handfull of some more straw until we have
loaves that will hold together when we toss it to
someone up on a ladder or scaffold that works the cob
in. (we're building a two story house and the walls
are up past the first story).  we also bought an
electric hoist at Harbor Freight Tools for about $70
that we use to bring up buckets of mixed cob to the
second floor (saves the back).
I suggest you try building a small outbuilding before
you try anything to big.  Cob is a lot of work.
Dorothy