[Cob] Wool as insulation

Marlin lightearth at onebox.com
Tue May 4 14:47:46 CDT 2004

Don't believe fiberglass off gasses or burns.....

There's some suspicion among alt. health watchers, I've read, implicating Fiberglass in serious lung damage not unlike asbestos fibers. Myself, I feel that IT (fiberglass) and portland cement (lungs and skin/liver connection) are responsible for some degradation in my health and am glad that I seldom  work with either anymore. Not at all unless I have to.

Aesbestos was worshipped, at one point, for it's non-flammability and secondarily it doesn't off-gas either.  So it' critical to look at all the impacts - Aesbestos is now a menace to remove.

Unfortunately ceiling insulation is one of those not-so-great areas of natural building. The wall solutions are getting more and more insulation but upper insulation, foundation/insulation and roofing choices have not yet caught up in the GOOD choice category. The choices come with so many negative aspects........so far.......so I'm looking forward to people learning about wool, light straw, cardboard, isonyne etc etc etc..

Since there isn't Material Safety Data totally available for some of these materials we'll have to count on each other to TRY some of them as experiments - learning the old fashion way!

Best,

Marlin Nissen

p.s. Is there a source of already created wool ? (old clothes, scraps etc.) that could be REUSED somehow - it'd be washed, processed etc. already and everyone knows that the West wastes enuff stuff to build many small towns out our waste stream.

           info at outtathebox.org
           www.outtathebox.org
"There are solutions to the major problems of our time, some of them even simple. But they require a radical shift in our perceptions, our thinking, and our values."
   - [Fritjof Capra]