[Cob] Wool as insulation

David Atmoweg vesuviusbobo at email.com
Fri May 7 12:00:38 CDT 2004

Hi all;

Regarding, primarily, Elizabeth's note on unwashed wool insulation:

Wool for insulation is used pretty extensively in Australia and New Zealand.  It is washed and carded and, to the point, treated with a mild solution of borax, which
both discourages pests and reduces further wool's natural tendency not to burn.  The only manufacturer I've found in North America is a quaint little Canadian
outfit called Custom Woolen Mills.

It is rumoured (I can't source this reliably) that there is already training underway for the removal of fiberglass insulation, which, in addition to being
energy-intensive, is a known respiratory irritant.  Wool is cheap, pleasant to work with, and, provided we can set up the infrastructure, locally-sourcable.

Finally, pretty much everything gives off toxins when burning, natural or not.  Some things are just nicer when they're not on fire.  We tried to get some wool
insulation to burn; it will, but it doesn't want to.  In a wood home like mine, it's the least of my concerns.

-d.

www.flamingbunny.org

Flaming Bunny Acres
2455 County Route 2