[Cob] cob raised beds?

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Tue May 25 07:38:33 CDT 2004

Might hold up no worse than plain wood boards.  And they'd be repairable, or
they could be allowed to decay into nothingness without harm to the soil,
both pretty good ideas.  Using a lime plaster on the inside might or might
not be good for the pH of your particular soil.

I'm using "topless tires," turned inside out if I'm feeling decorative.
"Topless" as in one sidewall cut off.  You can do more shaping if you cut
both off.  And you could use those as a liner--inner/outer liners? then.
I'm terracing a steep slope with this garden, burying even big old loader
tires well into the ground on one side.  (tips from the tire garden: you
don't need to doctor your jigsaw blades, especially if you drill a hole to
start the cut.  And, especially with large tires, cut a sidewall off before
you unload them.  I had big Gumbo Mudders fly through a fence, down 30-40
feet in elevation and into a creek hundreds of feet away.  They don't go
anywhere near as far with one sidewall off, but they sure are a pain to
bring back up from the creek half-filled with water)

These guys wrote the book, said, last time I looked at their site, that
there was no reason to think that used tires put anything harmful into the
soil, or the crops you were growing into them.  Ran into another site that
I'm too lazy to find right now, of a farm--organic or biodynamic or
something--which recommended carefully cutting both sidewalls off, and
cutting across the tread (ouch!--metal cutting blade on a sawzall if they
are steel belted radials, and don't even think about tractor-trailer tires
with steel sidewalls)  to make long beds.

http://www.tirecrafting.com/02retiring/02retiringfarbers.htm

Daveena T wrote:

I am interested in building raised beds out of something other than wood and
I was wondering if cob could be an appropriate medium.  I like the idea of
being able to build beds in interesting shapes rather than just straight
lines.  I also like the possibility of building in little sitting areas or
shrines.

Would cob beds stand up to the constant contact with soil?  Could I line
them or finish them with something if the soil would be a problem?  Would
some kind of flashing be necessary?  Any more ideas or examples of people
who have done this?

Thanks, DT in Portland, OR