[Cob] cob raised beds?

Yun Que yunk88 at hotmail.com
Sat May 29 09:09:42 CDT 2004

   Cat here,  what is the burnt clay you speak of?  What does it do for
   the morter and could crushed clay bricks be used?
   for the good of all C.
   >From: "Marlin" <lightearth at onebox.com> >To: coblist at deatech.com
   >Subject: RE: Re: [Cob] cob raised beds? >Date: Wed, 26 May 2004
   09:59:24 -0400 > >We used Urbanite for the foundation of our Cob Wall
   and it works pretty sweet, cut a score line with a concrete saw then
   pry up the sidewalk or driveway piece, put something like another
   small chunk under the crack (slightly to one side) and hit it with a
   sledge hammer - bang - perfect limestone blocks. They're flat on one
   side and rough on the other so you can chooose your surfaces depending
   on what you want, it turns into more of a stone mason type job, but
   very applicable to use in conjuction with Cob. For the Outta The Box
   project we chose to mortar them with Roman Cement (lime/sand/burnt
   clay) but you'll need to leave that exposed to air before backfilling
   as it needs to cure. > >Best, > >Marlin > > > info at outtathebox.org >
   www.outtathebox.org >"There are solutions to the major problems of our
   time, some of them even simple. But they require a radical shift in
   our perceptions, our thinking, and our values." > - [Fritjof Capra] >
   <tbanks98926 at yahoo.com> >Sent: Tue, 25 May 2004 21:51:55 -0700 (PDT)
   >To: coblist at deatech.com >Subject: Re: [Cob] cob raised beds? >
   >Hmmmm.... What about Urbanite, broken concrete? That might be a
   little easier to find than stone, and if you use cob to mortar it in,
   it might work just fine. I kind of like this idea, and I will keep it
   in mind for the future.... > >Teresa > >Amanda Peck
   <ap615 at hotmail.com> wrote: > > >That sounds wonderful. We've got ledge
   stone here, but the pieces tend to >be huge and heavy beyond belief.
   People do move them--I was in a restaurant >at noon where the steps
   between two of the dining rooms were some huge >stones--4-6 inches
   thick--the largest over 5 square feet, in different >colors. > >You're
   right, might even be a little easier than a rock foundation, no
   >worse, certainly. And gorgeous. At raised bed size, and a bit
   thinner, >they wouldn't be too dreadful to move. > >................ >
   >Yun Que responds to those of us yammering about tires. > >Cat here,
   In my area there are many cut stone. I have collected them >for years
   and have made my raised beds from these. In areas that do >not have
   the cut variety there may be stone available to dry stack. >It takes
   some doing to dry stack but it looks beautiful. It's about >the same
   as doing the foundation to your cob only not as wide. When I >lived in
   CA the mexican workers were very talented building these. >The paths
   between the beds can be done of sand and lime it makes for >less
   weeding. >for the good of all C. > > > >