[Cob] cob paving?

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 2 17:56:06 CDT 2004

At a guess, a member of the board offered to donate the %$#*!! blacktop.
I'm with you on that--it gets hot, water runs off it, doesn't drain through.

But I don't think I'd want to put cob down for drainage reasons, unless I
used Lance's drain system.  But then I grew up in Red Clay country, found
the current clayey chert driveway pretty intolerable until the clay washed
down hill, putting silt into the creek and river beyond..

The cutest walk/driveway solution I've heard of is to embed concrete block
seconds--Banana blocks, from the shape--or used block, if you run into a
bunch--into the ground, hole side up, maybe over a gravel/drain base.  Fill
with sandy soil or whatever, grow grass or things like creeping thyme that
can take a bit of traffic.  They DO make purpose-built blocks for this, but
while the solution is just as green, the materials aren't.

I'm too lazy to look up the name of the guy--Not Rob Roy (THE man on
stackwall/cordwood masonry) who runs what seems to be a kind of informal
forum on the subject.  I love the look, although friends here who tried it
had some splitting problems that let gazillions of Asian Lady Beetles into
their house.  Their solution was to plaster over on the outside--that's
lasted nicely for 15 years or so.  Search Cordwood Masonry, which seems to
be the name that is being agreed on.
Lance replies to Steve:

Hi Steve,

I would consider putting weedmat between two layers else the clay will
migrate down into the gravel and you will lose the drainage over time.

Several years ago I placed 4 inches of half inch river pebbles, a sheet of
weedmat and an inch of pebbles beside my shed.  Over time soil has washed
into the top layer of pebbles and made a hard layer similar to the surface
your are proposing.   No significant amount of soil has penetrated the
weedmat and the underlying drain is still working OK.

Lance