[Cob] Question from a list newbie

Bonnie Morse bonnie.morse at content-mgmt.com
Tue Jun 15 21:34:27 CDT 2004

Hi Everyone,

I looked in the archives and couldn't find an answer to this question, so if
it's already been answered and I just couldn't find it...I apologize.

I would like to replace my crummy old manufactured home with a cob cottage,
but it's going to be a couple-3 years before I can do that.  My problem is
that I REALLY need to replace the flooring in my house now.

I'm wondering whether I can put an earthen floor into an existing house.  I
was thinking that I could rip up the crummy old carpet and put
down...maybe...1 or 1 1/2 inches of tamped cob, with 1/4 or 1/2 inches of
poured adobe over that.

Will I ruin the subfloor if I do that?  Will that much thermal mass be
enough to help keep my house cooler on hot summer days?  Am I completely off
my rocker?

TIA,
Bonnie in OR