[Cob] mortar for rock walk

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 21 19:16:56 CDT 2004

Wow, a use for cut-off tire sidewalls!  I've mostly used them to hold down
tarps over the sand pile and loads of stuff that might fly out of my truck
on the way home.  I'm not being sarcastic.  I'd LIKE to find uses for the
things.  What is the color?

I've put a bunch of steps in, but with tires with one sidewall cut out.  The
Farbers recommend the idea.

http://groups.msn.com/ap615/spring2003.msnw

I need to put new pictures up.

The steps work reasonably well, mostly recycle things that need recycling,
but I wouldn't call them pretty, even when they've been in use for a year or
so.

(if you take both sidewalls off, you can shape them into something other
than a mostly round blob.  Might even make a better foundation that way for
your COB house)

Here's the farber's link.

http://www.tirecrafting.com/

Charmaine writes in response to Deborah:

Deborah--You can use 1 parts hydrated  lime to 6-8 parts soil raked up and
spread the lime around the soil, mixing in with a hoe, lay in the rock and
water lightly, tamp if possible.  The lime will harden up the soil and
stabilize the clay particles so it is not muddy, and will act as a soft
mortar.

you could also use the cut off ring from a tire as a form or permanent step
circle, and fill the inside with loose pebbles, cast a cob stepstone, etc.

here is one I made:
http://www.northcoast.com/~tms/steptire.jpg