[Cob] OT- cob/earth oven form - HELP

Copper Harding copperharding at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 27 21:49:46 CDT 2004

Hello all,

I need some help with a cob oven.  I've got teh
foundation built!  yeah!  I have the firebricks
bought.  Kiko Denzer's wonderful book says to use sand
or a woven basket as teh inside form of the oven - to
shape the clay over.

i have a problem though - sand here is expensive!!
we're talking 35 dollars for about a cubic yard!
Otherwise I have about a two-three hour drive over the
mountains for beach sand.  I've looked in teh local
rivers and they are all "vertical" rivers, very young
and no sand seems to be settling anywhere I can get my
hands on it.

I've looked through the local stores for a woven
basket of the right shape and size, no go!

This has been a month-long process and I expected to
have my sand or oven form source figured out by the
time we finished hauling rock and building the
foundation!

I have ONE idea - please tell me if you think it would
work or if it's totally crazy.....

I am thinking of making a papermache oven form - i
could pile my baking bowls together to get about the
right size and shape and am thinking of making it
pretty heavy duty.  I think i oculd pile the clay over
the top of it and then burn it out like Kiko's book
says you can do with teh woven basket.

waddya think?  other ideas?!

thanks for listening to my frustrations and problems!

peace,

copper

=====
Ms. Copper Harding

If you can walk, you can dance
If you can talk, you can sing  --- from Zimbabwe