[Cob] roofing idea

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 2 19:07:11 CDT 2004

Bear in mind that I have no desire whatsoever to put on my own roof--I don't
like heights.  I am biased  that way.  I am also biased in favor of
rainwater catchment.  Between the two, I wouldn't even think of it.

In its own way, given overlaps (at least two layers, maybe three), roll
roofing of any kind might well be harder to put on than shingles.  And that
stuff is hard to roll out, it will kink given any kind of opportunity.  And
doing it on a sunny day is incredibly painful--this goes for galvanized
steel as well--think looking into a mirror aimed at the sun for half a day.

I would think it would have to be put on over sheathing--which will screw up
any savings from the cheap material.  The ag-style, and many of the
residential style metal roofing types have built-in ventilation, they can go
on purlins--not sheathing--and in any country community there are people who
can do the job in far less time than you can.

Where I once worked, unpainted aluminum could not be packaged in kraft
(brown) paper because the paper was acid enough to corrode the aluminum if
the package got wet--putting the paper into direct contact with the paper.
Got acid rain?  you might get "white rust" probably in spots on that shiny
roof.

Rainwater catchment?--consider the connections that there may be between
aluminum and Alzheimer's.

There's at least one kind of residential steel roofing (baked on enamel)
that is certified for rainwater catchment.

The greenest form of roofing is probably the living roof.  Not for rainwater
catchment, and it does require extra framing, and a waterproof membrane
below the soil, but the living plants would probably work at least as well
as shiny aluminum to insulate and cool the house.

And if you still had to have shiny surfaces, that mylar bubble wrap is
supposed to work pretty well in attics.

Caroline wants to know:

Roofing seems to me to be one of the biggest expenses and most difficult
tasks.  I want a reflective roof, as they are proven to reduce indoor
tempuratures in the summer and was wondering what everyomne thought of using
aluminum flashing as long horizontal "shingles" across a rectangular roof?
I see today the building store sells  a 24" x 50ft roll for $57.  That is
far less than the price per square foot for a metal roof. What do you think?
  I was thinking of basically laying them and nailing them overlapping like
shingles, but not bothering to cut them into smaller pieces.  Any reason it
wouldn't work?  How far do you think they should overlap?