[Cob] rice hulls

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 8 07:47:23 CDT 2004

In general, keep anything dry, although I'd thought that rice hulls were
pretty hard to burn.

Put in bags for the ceiling or mix with your cob so that they can't mat
together and ferment and then catch fire?

Maybe do a "light clay" with rice hulls instead of wood chips or straw?  If
the latter are OK when coated with clay, surely the rice hulls are.

Luanna writes:

I am looking into rice hulls for insullation.  One
site says to keep them dry due to spontaneous
combustion.  Anyone know anything about this and how
it would be controlled in a home insulation situation?