[Cob] cob commercial kitchen/firing tiles

grant Earthnhands at img.net
Mon Jul 12 09:33:59 CDT 2004

Thanks for all the good input on this subject I have been receiving thus far.
I love the idea of an organic kitchen,which we will be aiming for in certification as well,to have an organic kitchen part of the requirements should be an organic structure.I'm all for seeing models created to up the bar in standards for healthy food creation,chemical free,which should mean there should be a certification board for having your building site built and stamped for organic certification especially if one is to craft organic products.
Us natural builders are working hard to fit the requirements of conventional code for construction that has prooven in many ways to be unfit for health of human and planet.I propose that there should be a completely separate code of standards that conventional builders have to strive for,just as organicly grown food is a superior produce then conventional chemically fed produce.
Even in natural building, some still take conventional shortcuts,if for any reason lack of accurate knowledge of an alternative(ie cement stucco on bales)but wouldnt it be great if the enthusiastic new natural builder could have access to having the option of stamping their new home or production facility certified organic,this way it would insure that more natural buildings are getting built up to snuff and not deriving an ill reputation for shoddy practices.
Any way this is maybe detouring me from the question I had if anyone has a good recipe for making ceramic tiles with perhaps a natural glaze that would seal the tiles for health inspectors happiness.I have a very large wood fire bread oven I could put to work baking all the tiles for the kitchen,achieving temps of 900-1000 f, which would be a low heat firing,but I have lots of good clay and would love to make the tiles for the floor and splash boards and some prep areas this way.Any suggestions?
Much appreciative of the value of this sound board.
cob away
Grant